Message Notes 6.27.21 | What Is The Gospel | 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
(1 Corinthians 15:3–8 ESV)
I. What the gospel is not
II. The essential points of the gospel
1. The one and only God, who is holy, made us in His image to know Him (Gen. 1:26-28).
2. But we sinned and cut ourselves off from him(Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23).
3. In his great love, God sent his Son Jesus to come as king and rescue his people from their enemies—most significantly their own sin. (Ps. 2; Luke 1:67-79).
4. Jesus established his kingdom by acting as both a mediating priest and a priestly sacrifice—he lived a perfect life and died on the cross, thus fulfilling the law himself and taking on himself the punishment for the sins of many;(Mark 10:45; John 1:14; Heb. 7:26; Rom. 3:21-26,5:12-21)
then he rose again from the dead, showing that God accepted his sacrifice and that God’s wrath against us had been exhausted (Acts 2:24, Rom. 4:25).
5. He now calls us to repent of our sins and trust in Christ alone for our forgiveness(Acts 17:30, John 1:12). If we repent of our sins and trust in Christ, we are born again into a new life, an eternal life with God (John 3:16)
III. The urgency of the gospel
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, (Hebrews 9:27 ESV)
A. Death is certain
B. We have an enemy
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.
(John 10:10 ESV)
C. After this
D. We have a Savior
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(Romans 3:23 ESV)
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
(Romans 6:23 ESV)
because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
(Romans 10:9–10 ESV)
For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
(Romans 10:13 ESV)