This page will be constantly updated with announcements and more information. For The most up to date state information please visit http://coronavirus.illinois.gov
Dear Church Family,
As you are all aware, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected the United States and other countries around the world in ways that have begun to disrupt everyday living. Major organizations and political leaders are actively taking steps to contain and slow down the spread of the virus.
The speed at which the outbreak takes place matters tremendously for its consequences. This is why large gatherings and major sporting events have been canceled around the country. If the spread of the disease can be slowed our healthcare system will be able to handle the influx of patients they are expecting to receive.
Experts tell us that around 80% of people globally can recover from COVID-19 just by staying home and resting. The other 20% will need medical attention to recover properly. A small percentage of those needing medical attention will develop pneumonia or other serious complications. Those most at risk are those over age 70 and those over age 60 who have diminished respiratory capacity.
I understand that is a good portion of our church. I want you to now that I am taking this pandemic seriously. At this time Tazwell County has no confirmed cases of the disease.
My initial plan was to follow suit with our public schools meaning If the schools were open we would continue with our regularly scheduled worship gatherings. If schools closed we would cancel however the governor as closed all schools. So now we look to containment and whether there is an issue and at the moment in our area that is not an issue we usually audio record the service however I would like to see us eventually offer live-streaming worship. As well an online giving option.
I am asking everyone to adjust how they are interacting at all of our gatherings and in all social spaces until the COVID-19 virus has been contained. Here are some practical ways you can practice social distancing include:
- Wash your hands frequently. This is your best line of defense against COVID-19.
- We will ask all of our greeters to refrain from shaking hands with people as they enter our worship gathering.
- Refrain from shaking hands. Instead, offer an elbow bump or a foot tap. And you can’t ever go wrong with a sincere, warm smile!
- We will refrain from having our potluck and business meeting until future notice.
- We will refrain from taking the Lord’s Supper corporately until further notice.
- We will refrain from passing the offering plate you can drop your offering off in the back of the church we will have a place set up.
Our main goal is to glorify God, and one of the best ways we can bring Him glory in this season is to think carefully about how we interact with one another and protect the most vulnerable from sickness. With that being said if you do start to feel sick, please stay home. If necessary, and especially if you are in an at-risk category, seek medical attention.
Please join us in praying for those who have been impacted by this illness and for the families who have lost loved ones in recent days. This is not a season for First Baptist to shrink back in fear about the unknown but to boldly step forward and find new ways to bless our community and advance the gospel of Jesus Christ.
As your pastor I am praying for God’s protection and courage as we face new opportunities to live as missionaries in the world we have. I look forward to seeing you this Sunday morning at 9:15 AM For Sunday School and then at 10:30 AM for worship.
Remember that you can always email: email@example.com with any questions or concerns and you can always call the church office or pastors cell phone.
For more information on COVID-19 in the United States visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html
For Coronavirus advisory information visit: https://www.who.int/…/novel-coronavirus-2…/advice-for-public
To read the Q & A on Coronavirus from the World Health Organization visit: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses
And to see the Coronavirus condition overview visit: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
Please email or message me with any prayer requests or needs. Follow our Facebook page for the most current updates and announcements. I will do my best to keep you updated, and I will work hard to give timely responses to all of your questions & prayer requests. I love you, family. Let’s all be on our knees asking God for mercy for those most affected by this disease.